This recipe is one of my favorite slow cooker recipes. Many years ago when we lived in Charleston, South Carolina, a family invited us over for dinner. Our friend, Heidi, made these tangy pork chops for us and I had to get the recipe from her so I could make them again for my family. She called them Tangy Pork Chops and I added her name to the recipe. Our family loves these because they are so tender and flavorful. The sauce is like a sweet and sour sauce, but not quite as thick.
Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and place them in the slow cooker.
Chop the celery and slice the onions and peppers. I use sweet onions (either Walla Walla or Vidalia) because I like their flavor better. I had used part of the bottom of the onion for a different recipe, so the size of the onion slices were perfect. As you can see from the picture below, the slices are about 1/2 inch thick.
We like to buy the tri colored mini peppers from the store. My girls don't like green peppers because they are not as sweet. Also, the red and yellow peppers give it a nice bit of color.
Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl until smooth, and add that to the slow cooker.
Set the slow cooker to cook on low for about 5 hours. Make the thickener, add to the slow cooker, and cook on high heat for 30 minutes. While that is cooking, make some steamed rice to complete your meal.
I'm the only one in my family who likes pineapple with this, so I serve it on the side. If your family likes pineapple, I would say to add a small can of pineapple tidbits before you add the sauce.
8 pork chops (if using thick pork chops, you will have to increase the time)
1/2 t salt
1/8 t pepper
med onion, sliced in strips
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 green pepper, sliced in strips
1 can stewed tomatoes (14.5oz)
1 beef bouillion cube (or 1 T granuals)
2 T cider vinegar
2 T brown sugar
2 T Worchestershire sauce
1 t lemon juice
1/2 c ketchup
2 T cornstarch
2 T water
- Place pork chops in slow cooker, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add onions, celery, green pepper and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Pour sauce over veggies and chops.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 1/2 - 5 hours. (Increase time if pork chops are frozen)
- Mix thickener until smooth. Stir into liquid in slow cooker. If you don't stir well enough, it just goes to the bottom of the slow cooker and will form a lump and the sauce will not thicken.
- Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and enjoy!