My kids love to request these potatoes for dinner. Maybe it's because we call them Vader Taters and they think it's a fun name, but judging by how fast these disappear from their plates I'd say they love the taste too!
We are big fans of Star Wars in our house and always celebrate Star Wars Day (May the 4th) with fun food that has names associated with Star Wars - hence where the nickname Vader Taters came from. You don't have to be a Star Wars fan to love these though, just a fan of potatoes.
2 pounds potatoes - red or Yukon gold
butter - 1 tablespoon
olive oil - just a drizzle
dry ranch mix - store mix or your favorite homemade - 1-2 teaspoons just a sprinkling
13x9 glass baking dish
Prep time - 6 minutes
Bake time - 25 minute
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place butter in bottom of baking dish and put in oven until butter is melted. Remove from oven.
- Wash potatoes and cut into bite size pieces.
- Place potatoes in baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Gently stir a bit to cover the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the dry ranch mix over your potatoes and gently stir.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. This will help the potatoes to not get dried out when baking at a high temperature.
- Stir potatoes so they do not stick to the bottom of the baking dish. Bake covered for another 10 minutes. Stir again, leave uncovered and bake for 5-10 minutes. Potatoes should then be soft when a fork is inserted into them, but have a slight crunch when biting into them. Baking time will vary depending on how big you cut your potato pieces.
Dish them up and eat!
I hope your family loves this tasty potato dish as much as my family. I'd love to hear in the comments if you try it!
If you would like to try other potato recipes, I've got some great ones to share with you! I joined with a group of other bloggers for an ultimate recipe challenge - make our best potato recipe. Visit a few and you might find another family favorite recipe!