Logan is a fun city to visit. You have the best of both worlds - the feel of a small town, as well as easy access to big name shopping and dining establishments. Nature lovers have plenty to keep them occupied at all the beautiful parks and surrounding areas. Or you can enjoy time together by taking a stroll in the old downtown area, browsing the shops and eating at one of the restaurants.
I'm excited to be sharing my first post in the Utah Travel Series - Weekend Getaway Destinations. I will share throughout the year different cities all over Utah you can visit for a weekend away. You will be able to read about places to stay, local eateries, and nearby activities. Let's take a look at all that Logan Utah has to offer for a fun weekend away from your daily cares.
Weekend Getaway in Logan Utah
My husband and I recently spent a weekend in Logan. We had visited before a few years ago and enjoyed it so much we knew that we had to go back for another weekend getaway. This visit was on a sunny winter weekend and we had a great time seeing the town, driving to the local park to enjoy a bit of nature, and chatting over meals at local restaurants.
Lodging in Logan, Utah
There are quite a few options for hotels when you stay in Logan, but I will be honest that we enjoy staying at bed and breakfasts when it is just the two of us away for the weekend. They are so homey and comfortable, plus you have a wonderful breakfast in the morning made fresh when you come down to eat.
We stayed at the Riter Mansion on our trip and absolutely loved it! It is an old home that has been remodeled for guest conveniences (whirlpool tubs in every room, fireplaces, sitting areas), but still stays true to the charm of the original structure. This beautiful stained glass window is part of the old charm.
The rooms at the Riter Mansion are spacious yet cozy. We stayed in the Library Room and enjoyed a sitting area, shelf after shelf of books, a fireplace to keep our room toasty warm, and a private bath. When we checked in, the owner was very hospitable, had plenty of suggestions for places to visit, and offered ideas of restaurants to go to depending on what type of food we were craving.
In the morning you will be treated to a gourmet breakfast in the cozy breakfast room. They start to cook your food when you come down, so it is fresh, hot, and delicious! Breakfast during this visit was apple pancakes, thick cut bacon, homemade syrup, fresh fruit, and a beverage. There were four or five options for different juices. They have gluten free options for breakfast too, the omelet looked as delicious as our pancakes. When we stayed there last time, there was scrumptious french toast, sausage links, fresh fruit, and juice.
You will not be disappointed in the bed or breakfast part of your stay at the Riter Mansion.
Places to Eat in Logan
Since you will need to eat more than breakfast, I've got a diverse list of places to try while you are visiting Logan. These are the local options for dining. When visiting somewhere, I like to try a new restaurant to eat. If you are looking for familiar meals, they have large chain restaurants to choose from as well.
- Logan's Heroes - A little sub sandwich shop that has been around for 20 years and is big on flavor! We loved The Logan sandwich and the turkey sandwich - plenty of fresh sliced meat and toppings with half a sandwich leftover for a snack later that afternoon. Bring cash or check, they don't take cards.
- Angie's Restaurant - Down home diner food at it's best. Everyone raves about Angie's and it's on our list for our next visit.
- Le Nonne Ristorante Italiano - Delectable northern Italian dishes. We dined there on our last visit and their pesto ravioli was amazing. The setting is delightful and they have live music some of the nights, just right for a romantic dinner. A plus is it's across the street from The Riter Mansion, so you can walk.
- MayMoes - Southern Cajun grill food that will leave you satisfied. If you love southern food, you have to give it a try. Their shrimp PoBoy looks like a must or even just stop by for their Beignets. Be warned that the location being in a gas station is kind of strange, but the food is top notch!
- For fine dining, we went to Logan's Steakhouse, a local eatery and enjoyed a fabulous dinner, wonderful service, and a quiet and romantic setting. Since our visit, I have heard that a different owner is transitioning the restaurant into the Copper Mill and the visits have not gone well. Hopefully that is temporary as new menu items are added and new staff is trained.
Things to Do in Logan
While relaxing in your room is wonderful, there are plenty of options for things to do and places to see while you are in Logan. Here are some ideas for what to do when you want to go out and about.
- Visit the picturesque campus of Utah State University - make sure to get a tasty ice cream
- I've heard that Wind Caves Hike is an amazing experience
- Have a fun paint night at Liquid Canvas
- Walk around the grounds of the LDS Logan Temple
- Visit one of the local parks - We went to Canyon Entrance Park and it was beautiful! Geese, the mountains, a river and pond - peaceful and amazing.
- Check out the shops downtown. The Book Table is awesome! A bookstore, a music store, and an Amazon overstock store all in one
- Stop in at the Clover Patch Quilt Shop to see their wonderful fabrics and what projects they have on display to inspire you
- If you visit in the winter, make a side trip up to Hardware Ranch to see elk roaming around. It was spectacular
I loved this display at the quilt shop. Totally my favorite colors! I regret not buying the fabric to make that sweet blanket.
We walked around the Logan Temple and the sun was shining behind the temple. Aren't those clouds amazing? I think this is one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken.
While we were in Logan, I was seriously thinking about job options for my husband because I liked it so much. I guess that just means we will have to go back for another visit next year!
I hope that you found this travel post useful for an upcoming trip you will be making to Logan. There is plenty to see and do while visiting. I'd love to hear about different places you have enjoyed eating or your favorite place to go when in Logan.
Don't forget to visit my Travel tab for more posts about other places in Utah to visit, our beautiful National Parks, and California. As the year progresses, you can also find Utah specific information for other weekend getaways on this post.