Healthier Breakfast Casserole

Want to try a healthier version of the tasty sausage breakfast casserole that has all the wonderful taste? This recipe is the one that you have been looking for!

breakfast casserole healthy hash brown cheese turkey sausage

My family loves this healthier version of the well known sausage breakfast casserole. This healthier version doesn't skimp on the flavor either. We love it for breakfast on Saturday morning, or even for dinner sometimes. It's tasty whenever you decide to eat it! You can assemble it the night before for a faster breakfast.

Ingredients
1/4 medium onion, chopped
1/2 orange pepper, chopped (can use any color bell pepper)
1 16oz package of turkey sausage
1 (30oz) bag of frozen hash browns, thawed
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
7 egg whites
1 egg
1/2 cup 1% milk
pepper

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a glass 9 x 13 casserole dish wish non-stick cooking spray.
2. Wash the pepper, then slice into strips and chop into small bite sized pieces. Chop the onion.

breakfast casserole healthy hash brown turkey sausage vegetables

3. In a large frying pan, brown the turkey sausage over med heat. Break up into small pieces while cooking. When the meat is browned, add the peppers and onion. Cook about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.

Now it is time to layer your casserole.
4. Put the thawed hash browns into the bottom of the greased casserole dish.
5. Add the sausage/veggie mixture evenly on top of the potatoes.
6. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the meat layer.

breakfast casserole healthy hash brown cheese turkey sausage 

7. Lightly beat the egg and egg whites in a 2 cup measuring cup. Add the milk and a dash of pepper. Pour evenly over the casserole.

8. Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the egg mixture has cooked through. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve! If you refrigerated this the night before, add 15 minutes to the cooking time.

breakfast casserole healthy hash brown cheese turkey sausage

This healthier version of the tasty breakfast casserole is sure to be a hit at your house!

breakfast casserole healthy hash brown cheese turkey sausage

The turkey sausage and low fat cheese and milk reduce the fat content of this casserole, making it a little more heart healthy for you. Using egg whites instead of all whole eggs helps reduce the cholesterol in the meal. You still get the flavor of the regular sausage casserole, with the addition of tasty vegetables; and you can eat it knowing that it is a bit healthier than the pork sausage casserole.

I would love your feedback on how you liked this recipe! Just remember, if your taste buds don't agree with peppers, leave them out. We have added mushrooms and liked it too. Happy cooking!

breakfast casserole healthy hash brown cheese turkey sausage vegetables heart-healthy

24 comments

  1. This looks amazing! I seriously can't ever tell the difference in flavor with turkey sausage or ground turkey meat. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Cara, I can't tell the difference in flavor either. My husband read this post and asked when I made it. I told him the last 3 times we've had it. He never knew!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of a healthier breakfast casserole. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always felt kind of bad making the regular recipe. We loved it, but I kept thinking about the fat content. I'm glad that I was able to change the recipe to be healthier and it still tastes good.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Missy! We might have it again this weekend. =)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. We do too. They are my favorite for Saturday mornings. I make it up the night before, my husband puts it in the oven then wakes me up when it is done. The kids love it too.

      Delete
  5. This would make such a wonderful Christmas Morning breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would Heather! We have it Christmas morning and Easter morning every year.

      Delete
  6. Looks wonderful and seems simple enough to make. Will be giving this a try soon.
    From #WHW party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be great Christmas Morning. I can make it ahead which I love and the fact that it is a little healthier and lighter than what I normally make after the heavy laden Christmas Even dinner just makes me happy! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice that you can make it ahead. That's the part I love the most!

      Delete
  8. Yum!looks and sounds amazing. Plus seems very hearty, which the family will love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice filling breakfast, especially with the fruit salad I generally serve with it.

      Delete
  9. I love breakfast casseroles! We only eat turkey bacon, but we have never tried turkey sausage. I need to pick some up next time I am at the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't much of a taste difference between the pork and turkey sausage. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  10. This would be great for Christmas morning! Thanks for sharing, looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Becki. We are looking forward to having it in just a few days for Christmas.

      Delete
  11. This looks like a total XMAS morning treat for sure - I would probably be totally okay as having THIS as a present ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it GiGi! The added benefit is it's a healthier version and I don't feel bad about feeding it to friends and family.

      Delete
  12. This looks great! And reminds me that breakfast casserole needs to return to our dinner menu now that it's gotten cooler out. We'll give your recipe a shot soon.
    Thank you for linking up your recipe to Welcome Home Wednesdays Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have it quite often for dinner. All of my kids like it, so it's a crowd pleaser.

      Delete

Back to Top